Related panels by Charlot on wall at left of major
- Three murals in the second court, Secretaria de Educación, Mexico
City; each subject 16 1/3 x 7 2/3, May 29—August 2, l923; listed in
order painted, from right to left:
- Nine shields. Second Court, second floor,
Secretaria de Educación, Mexico City, September-October, 1923.
- Shield of the National University of Mexico, with Eagle and
Condor. Biblioteca Iberoamericana, Mexico City, February 1924.
- The Art Contribution to Civilization of All Nations and
Countries. The Straubenmüller Textile High School for the Humanities
(now the Bayard Rustin High School for the Humanities), oil on prepared
wall, 500 square feet, 1936 [date from contract; Charlot’s catalog
states: “Begun August 1934, Destroyed 1935.”]. United States Works
Progress Administration, Federal Sponsored Art Project, New York City
|Charlot was called in to oversee the work
of art students, which was already in progress. He himself painted
the central niche, to which he gave the title Head, Crowned with Laurels; this was
overpainted after the completion of the mural, and Charlot always
listed the mural as destroyed. It was restored by the Adopt-A-Mural
Program; restoration completed in 1995. |
Way of the Cross. St. Cyprian
Church, River Grove, Illinois. Oil on canvas, each panel 3 x 3. May
1935-January 1937 (installed in the 1950s).
Life of St. Bridget. Apsidal side
walls, Church of St. Bridget, Peapack, New Jersey. Two panels, oil on
canvas, each 6 3/4 x 16 ½, April 2-May 13, 1939, finished in situ August
29-September 1, 1939.
- St. Christopher. Classroom,
University of Iowa, Iowa City,
July 13-18, 1939. 10 x 2.
- Woman with Cradle. Corridor, Fine Arts Building, University
of Iowa, Iowa City. July 12, 1940. Section in class mural.
- Fresco Class in
Action. Basement, The Art Students League of New York, New
York. January 1941. 3 1/3 x 9. Destroyed. Seven fragments and the
full-scale cartoon of this mural were bought at auction by John Charlot
from the Sid Stallings Estate.
- Visual Arts, Drama, Music.
Antebellum facade, Fine Arts Building, University of Georgia, Athens,
April 20-May 1, 1942. 9 x 46.
- Cotton Gin. Post Office,
McDonough, Georgia. January 14-February 17, 1942. Installed May 12,
1942. W.P.A. project. Oil on canvas. 4 ½ x 11
- Time Discloseth All Things, Cortez Lands
in Mexico, and Paratroopers Land in Sicily. Corridor, Journalism
Building, University of Georgia, Athens; January 3-February 29, 1944; 11
x 66; listed in order painted.
- Pylons, New Studies Building, Black Mountain College, North
Carolina. August 17 -- 19, 1944, each 5 x 5:
- Malinches. Dean’s Office, Smith College, March 1945. Oil on
canvas, “removable mural.” 2 ½ x 3 ½.
- Tortillera. Kitchen, residence of
artist, Colorado Springs, Colorado, approximately 3 x 2. May 22, 1948.
- Relation of Man and Nature in Old
Hawaii. First floor, Bachman Hall, University of Hawai`i,
Honolulu, Hawai`i, 10 x 29. October 17-November 25, 1949.
- Hawaiian Drummers. Home of John
Young, Honolulu, Hawai`i, 4 x 6. May 5, 1950.
- Malinche theme. Oil. Dr. Edward C. Wo Lum office, Honolulu,
Hawai`i. March 18, 1951. Destroyed.
- Hopi Snake Dance and Preparing Anti-Venom
Serum. Stairway wall, Administration Building, Arizona State
College, Tempe, Arizona, 25 x 25. June 27-July 20, 1951.
- Procession in Chalma. Panel over fireplace, Portnoff house,
Tempe, Arizona, 5 x 3. July 14, 1951.
- Early Contacts of Hawaii with Outer
World. Bishop Bank (later First National Bank), Waikîkî Branch,
Honolulu, Hawai`i, 11 x 67. October 25, 1951-January 17, 1952. Destroyed
and divided into approximately 70 easel-size panels when the building
was demolished in 1966.
- Lauhala Grove. Panel over fireplace, Harold Roberts house,
Honolulu, Hawai`i, oval, approximately 4 x 6. May 23, 1953. Jean Charlot
with Campton Bell and Harold Roberts.
- Nativity at the Ranch. Church at
Kâhua Ranch, Kohala, Kamuela, Hawai`i,
4 x 5. August 26-27, 1953.
Memorial to Ronald von Holt.
- Commencement. Second floor, Bachman Hall, University of
Hawai`i, Honolulu, Hawai`i, 10 x 36. September 12-November 26, 1953.
Completes decoration with Relation of Man and Nature in Old
- Four Still Lifes, College Inn, Honolulu, Hawai`i. Removed
when the building was remodelled:
Two center panels: Japanese and Hawaiian Foods. Each
approximately 3 x 8. October 1953.
Two outer panels:
Milk and Lichee and American Juicer with Coffeemaker. Each
approximately 3 x 5. March 20-27, 1954.
- Hawaiian Petroglyphs. Outdoor
lânai, Alfred Preis home, Honolulu, Hawai`i, 9 ½ x 4 ¼. June 4, 1955.
- Spear Throwers. Polychrome cement. Playground, Booth Park
Pavilion, Honolulu, Hawai`i. Designed 1955, executed incorrectly 1956.
- Fresco Class in Action. Student
lounge, O'Shaughnessy Building,University of Notre Dame, South Bend,
Indiana, 11 x 25. June 18-July 15, 1955.
- Fourteen Panels Symbolizing the Fine
Arts . O'Laughlin Auditorium, St. Mary's College, Notre Dame,
Indiana, each approximately 3 x 3 ½. August 5-16, 1955.
- Psalm of the Good Shepherd. Eleven
portable panels forming arch; Church of the Good Shepherd, Lincoln Park,
Michigan, outer measurements 16 x 24. December 10-19, 1955.
- Inspiration of the Artist.
Stairwell, Des Moines Art Center, Des Moines, Iowa., maximum dimensions
16 x 14. May 29-June 7, 1956.
- Mestrovic's Studio. Student
lounge, O'Shaughnessy Building, University of Notre Dame, South Bend,
Indiana, 9 x 25. July 9-17, 1956.
- The Fire of Creation. Moreau
Hall, St. Mary's College, Notre Dame, Indiana, 5 ¾ x 5 ¼. July 21, 1956.
- Way of the Cross. St. Sylvester's
Church, Kîlauea, Kaua`i, Hawai`i, fourteen panels, each 2 x 4. August
23-September 1, 1956.
- Panels, Catamaran Cafe, Hawaiian Village Hotel, Waikîkî, Honolulu,
Hawai`i, November 13-29, 1956. Removed when the room was remodelled,
installed in the Hawai`i Convention Center:
- Papaya Tree. Howard Cook home,
Honolulu, Hawai`i, 7 x 6. June 25-28, 1957.
- Tropical Foliage. Residence of
Jean Charlot, Honolulu, Hawai`i, 12 x 12. Painted weekends August
17-October 20, 1957.
- Compassionate Christ. St.
Catherine's Church, Kâpa'a, Kealia, Kaua`i, Hawai`i, 10 x 7. January
27-February 3, 1958.
- Way of the Cross. St. Catherine's Church, Kaua`i, fourteen
ceramic tile panels, each 3 x 2, 1958.
- Stations of the Cross., St.
Francis Hospital, Honolulu, Hawai`i, fourteen ceramic tile panels, each
2 ½ x 1 foot. 1958.
- Ceramic tile panels at St. Francis
Hospital, Honolulu, Hawai`i, 1958
- Outdoor ceramic tile panels at St. Francis
Hospital, Honolulu, Hawai`i, 1959.
- Calvary St. Leonard Center,
Centerville, Ohio, 34 x 32. July 28-August 22, 1958.
- Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Oikumene. Kailua Methodist Church,
Kailua, O`ahu, Hawai`i. Ceramic tile panels, in collaboration with
Claude Horan, each 2 x 2 tondo within a 4 ½ x 3 ½ panel. Installed
November 9, 1958.
- Stations of the Cross. St. Mark’s Episcopal Church, Honolulu,
Hawai`i; fourteen ceramic tile panels, each 10 x 12 inches. 1958.
- Way of the Resurrection. Planned and executed for the Newman
Club, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota, each 7 x 7
inches. Ca. 1958. The tiles were stolen.
- Madonna and Child. Convent
garden, St. Francis Hospital, Honolulu, Hawai`i, ceramic statue, 5'
high. Installed April 1959.
- Trinity and Episodes of Benedictine Life. Monastic Chapel,
St. Benedict's Abbey, Atchison, Kansas, 21 x 29. July 1-29, 1959.
- St. Joseph's Workshop. Brothers' Chapel, St. Benedict's
Abbey, Atchison, Kansas, 4 ½ x 6 ½. July 1959.
- Our Lady of Guadalupe and the Four
Apparitions. Crypt, St. Benedict's Abbey, Kansas, 9 x 12, August
- Christ as the Vine, with Saints. The Oratory of St. Philip
Neri, Rock Hill, South Carolina, 11 x 15. October 19-30, 1959.
- St. Gabriel. Over entrance
door, St. Gabriel's Church, Charlotte, North Carolina, ceramic tile, 3 x
2. October 26, 1959. The panel is bricked up, but not destroyed.
- Pietà. St. John's Church, Morristown, New York, mosaic, 6 ¼ x
10 . Drawn February 1960, unveiled January 1962.
- Village Fiesta. Shaw Dormitory, Syracuse University,
Syracuse, New York, 9 x 45. May 2-June 2, 1960.
- Our Lady of Sorrows and Ascension of Our Lord. Ceiling and
apsidal wall, Church of Our Lady of Sorrows, Farmington, Michigan,
approximately 1300 square feet. July 10-August 16, 1961.
- Night Hula. Tradewind
Apartments, Waikîkî, Honolulu, Hawai`i, ceramic tile
9 x 15. October
1961. Technician: Isami Enemoto.
Reinstalled 1996, Performing Arts
Building, Kamehameha Schools. Seriously damaged when supporting wall
fell, December 1997.
- Murals in St. Francis Xavier Church,
Naiserelagi, Province of Ra, Fiji: Main altar: Black Christ and
Worshipers. 10 x 30. September 22-December 13, 1962.
altars: St. Joseph's Workshop and The Annunciation. Each
10 x 12. December 24, 1962-January 4, 1963.
- Early Contacts of Hawai`i with Outer World. First National
Bank (now First Hawaiian bank), Waikîkî Branch, Hawai`i, in two
sections, total area 9 x 98. August 9-November 26, 1966.
- Inspiration, Study, Creation. Jefferson Hall (now the Hawai`i
Imin Center), East-West Center, Honolulu, Hawai`i, 15 x 16 ½. September
- Battle of Malinches Library,
Maryknoll Grammar School, Honolulu, Hawai`i, 4 x 8. November 4, 1967.
- Angels in Adoration. Grace Episcopal Church, Ho`olehua,
Moloka`i, Hawai`i; portable panels forming arch, outer measurements 10 x
19. November 8-12, 1967
- Sacred Heart. St. William’s
Church, Hanalei, Kaua`i, Hawai`i, ceramic statue 7 ½ high. Installed
December 23, 1969.
- Chinese Rock. Garden of the home
of Jean Charlot, Honolulu, Hawai`i, ceramic statue, 7 high. 1969.
- Mayan Warriors. Flora Pacifica
Exhibition, acrylic on masonite, nine panels, each 8 x 4. August 1970.
- Way of the Cross. Church of St. John Apostle and Evangelist,
Mililani, Hawai`i; styrofoam reverse sculpture cast with the cement
wall; fourteen panels, each 20 x 16 inches. Completed November l970,
cast in situ February 1971.
- Episodes from the Life of Christ. Thurston Chapel, Punahou
School, Honolulu, Hawai`i; copper repoussé, thirty-two panels, each 18 X
19 inches. December 1967-November 1971. Dedicated December 16, 1973.
Collaborator: Evelyn Giddings.
- Ali'i Nui (High Chief). Ala Moana Hotel, Honolulu, Hawai`i,
ceramic sculpture, 9 ½ high. 1971. Technician: Isami Enemoto.
Ali'i Nui (High Chief).
- Musicians of Old Hawaii. Harbor Square Apartments, Honolulu,
Hawai`i, acrylic on masonite, two panels, each 16 x 8. March 31-May 8,
1971. Installed November 5, 1971. Assistant: Martin Charlot.
- In Praise of Petroglyphs. Moanalua Intermediate School,
Honolulu, Hawai`i, copper plate and champlevé enamel sculpture, 8 high.
Begun May 1972, installed April 7, 1973. Collaborator: Evelyn Giddings.
State Foundation on Culture and the Arts project.
- The Relation of Man and Nature in Old Hawaii. Leeward
Community College, Pearl City, Hawai`i, 23 x l04. February 14-May 17,
1974. State Foundation on Culture and the Arts project.
- School Street facade. United
Public Workers Building, Honolulu, Hawai`i, ceramic tile; technician:
and the Samaritan Woman at the Well. Maryknoll Elementary
School, Honolulu, Hawai`i, 5 x 4. September 1978.
- Mary Our
Mother Courtyard, Maryknoll Elementary School, Honolulu,
Hawai`i, ceramic sculpture, 15 high, including base. Begun August 1978,
installed September 6, 1979. Coordinator: Evelyn Giddings.
- Damien. Bronze sculpture.
Church of St. Anthony, Wailuku, Maui, Hawai`i, 45 inches high. Cast by
Roman Bronze Works, Inc., New York, from the ceramic model made for the
1967 state competition for the Capitol Damien statue.