FREDERICK GEORGE KRAUSS
(1870-1971) after whom the 1931 structure which used to be the Pineapple Research Institute is named had been a long-time researcher in agriculture and director of Agricultural Extension Service. The building passed to the university in 1969 and was named in 1971 in his honor.
Honolulu Star-Bulletin photo
Born in San Francisco, Krauss studied at Stanford, University of California, and the University of Berlin. He came to Hawaii in 1901 from Berkeley to serve as an instructor at Kamehameha Manual School. Joining the Hawaii Experiment Station in 1906, he served the College of Hawaii as Professor of Agriculture in 1911. Krauss contributed much in the areas of research and community service, including his work in forming the New Era Homestead Farm in Haiku, Maui, in 1913. He had the distinction of receiving the first honorary doctorate awarded by the University in 1923 in recognition for his work in improving agriculture in Hawaii.
* Kobayashi, Victor N. Building a Rainbow (Hui o Students, University of Hawaii at Manoa, 1983)